Monday, June 25, 2007

Cessationism's hermeneutic

Just dawned on me the bizarre hermeneutic that cessationism uses:
"Now that the Bible canon is complete we can't trust what the Bible says e.g. 'eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophecy', 'don't despise prophecy' etc."
So because the New Testament is now complete we can't trust what it says???? Isn't this just liberalism by the back door by the very evangelicals that claim the Bible is their primary authority?
The Briefing (March, p11) recently quoted Mark Driscoll's comment "I had been basically a theological cessationist and a fan of fundamentalist straw-man attacks on charismatic Christians. It wasn't until some years later, however, that I came to see the cessationists' interpretation of 1 Corinthians 12-14 as the second worst exegesis I have ever read, next to that of a Canadian nudist arsonist cult I once did some research on."
Nice one Mark, and nice one The Briefing on being willing to quote this.
Mark's point is something I've thought for a while since being encouraged by a conservative to read O.Palmer Robertson's 'The Final Word' on cessationism which is the worst exegesis I have ever seen in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home